Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe, a Germany based humanitarian agency, provides funds for emergency aid worldwide since over 60 years. It supports people who have fallen victim of natural disasters, war and displacement and who are not able to cope on their own with the emergency situation they find themselves in.
DKH’s Regional Office for West and Central Asia (DKH RO), – located in Amman, Jordan – engages in Emergency Relief, Rehabilitation and Disaster Risk Reduction projects in the region. It is DKH’s approach to implement projects through local partners around the world.
Currently, under the umbrella of the Regional Office, Disaster Risk Reduction and Disaster Risk Management focused projects are implemented in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and OPT/Gaza, while Emergency Relief programs responding to the Syria crisis are running in Turkey, Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan and Syria. The Regional Office is also responsible for coordinating response programs in case of acute emergencies in South and Southeast Asia.
Location: Amman, Jordan – with travels to focus countries;
Working under the supervision and in close collaboration with the DKH RO Regional Coordinator and in close collaboration with Country Program Coordinators, the Security Advisor is responsible to fulfil the following tasks:
- Continually monitor the regional security situation in areas of DKH RO project activities, using media and NGO Security forums and resources
- Receives, assesses and redistributes HSS related information from security networks (INSO UNDSS, etc.) and coordination partners in the AoOs of the RO
- Follow up security event in all focus countries.
- Keep RO staff informed on relevant events and analysis on weekly basis.
- Liaise with Partner organisations and ACT Alliance Security focal points in Project countries to understand the situation and security implications on DKHRO travel
- Provide updates and analysis of key events that have potential to directly impact project areas to Project staff
- Drafts and/or revises Health Safety and Security (HSS) plans and Standard Operation Procedures (SOP) for Areas of Operations (AoO) regularly in accordance with the HSS Standards of DKH.
- Is member (or possibly coordinator in charge) of the Crisis Management Team (CMT) for Regional Office
- Acts as the coordinator of the Incident Management Team (IMT) of RO
- Recommends the allocation of Security Phases to specific AoO within the AOR of the RO
- Provide briefings to new staff on HSS processes, and general context in DKH Regional area
- Deliver or facilitate training for staff on HSS related topics (first aid, HEAT, operation of emergency communication equipment)
- Periodically/as required travel to project locations to conduct Context and Risk assessment
- Provide guidance on proposed travel plans
- Update and deliver pre travel security briefings on Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) detailing the following:
- Recent trends in area and risks specific to planned travel
- partner security measures
- Local transport and accommodation arrangements
- mitigation measures
- access to medical facilities
- contingency/evacuation plans
- Emergency contact points in country
- Conduct daily monitoring of staff in the field
- Act as (or in case of absence designate) primary emergency point of contact for duration of travel
- Acts as focal point for Security Cluster coordination in all AoR
- Develop network of Security Focal Points (through ACT Alliance and DKHRO IPs) to support contingency and evacuation plans
- Develop framework evacuation plan that can be activated in case of emergency for each project area/country
- Conduct post trip debrief to gain field insight into security situation, gaps and concerns
- Contribute to planning of new projects, ensuring context specific security considerations are included in proposals.
- Advise on budgetary considerations for Health, Safety and Security, and allocation of funds for training, HSS equipment (EmPrep, Satcomms) and travel for risk assessment and review and mentoring of partner organisation HSS plans
- Support proposal development process to ensure Logistic cost considerations are included
Partner Support /Capacity Building of Partners and Staff
- Assess on the spot the security systems, policies and procedures in place of partner organizations as relate to DKHRO staff travels
- Ensures/ facilitates/ develops/ delivers/ sources trainings to keep staff “fit for work” in accordance with the HSS minimum training requirements: first aid, safe driving, fire and evacuation drills, communication and field equipment, security seminars
- Support training and development of Partners in context and risk analysis tools, development of HSS plans and HSS Management
- Share with partners relevant opportunities for Security trainings by external providers in their area of intervention
Security of office premises
Ensures safety measures are in place for the Regional Office premises
Manage the storage and Maintenance of DKH RO Emergency deployment and communications equipment, regular top up of satellite communications credit and procurement of new supplies as required
Act as focal point for other security related logistic tasks
|Job Location:||Amman, Jordan|
|Company Industry:||Community/Social Services/and Nonprofit|
|Career Level:||Mid Career|