To provide a technical service to ASTAD (ADE) in all areas of Mechanical works, during definition and execution stages, ensuring that designs are in compliance with the latest international codes, standards, National and Company requirements and procedures.
Liaise with Project Engineers, other Discipline Engineers, Architects and end-users, in order to develop cost effective and best practices design solutions, to suit Company’s requirements.
Contribute towards updating and enhancing discipline internal engineering codes, standards, specifications, procedures, strategies and philosophies and direct technician in production of technical documentations.
• Carry out technical reviews for all areas of work covered in Building Services and Infrastructures projects. These include but are not necessarily limited to, hazardous area installations, building management and energy conservation, commercial and industrial buildings, water storage and distribution, drainage systems, fire protection using conventional analogue and high sensitivity type detectors, fire fighting systems using water, CO2 and foam, cathodic protection etc. Recommend appropriate solutions and propose changes as necessary; gathers, researches and analyses pertinent data and information and prepares recommendations with supporting technical data. Prepare specifications and equipment data sheets. Contribute to the verification of building Completion and ‘Commissioning’ stages.
• Provide Projects with technical content of Project Development and Execution Plans, including defining design and construction criteria and procurement strategies for critical items. Assist End User and Project Engineer to expand and develop Space/ Building Program, within budget constraints.
• Prepare the Basis for Design (BFD), selects essential standards for use, identifies design throughput, policy, specifications, technical risks, facility safeguarding, safety and health requirements and infrastructure requirements. Prepares designs in consultation with other Discipline Engineers, as appropriate.
• Visit work sites to establish existing conditions. Review applicability of existing drawings, Standards and Specifications and recommends appropriate changes. Contribute to the development of cost estimates.
• Review all stage of design works for building and infrastructure work, based on the approved scope of work.
• Prepare design briefs for assigned designer / technicians. Review and approve their work.
• Develop Scope of Work (SOW), Specifications and design criteria for Building / facilities, infrastructure for his functional area of work, to be included in tenders for Engineering Consultancy and/or Construction. Provide technical input to Material Requisitions (MRs).
• Review technical aspects of bids from Consulting Engineering Companies and Construction Contractors, for his functional area of work. Support Projects in identifying and assessing capability resources and technical strengths of Consulting Engineers, Contractors and Vendors, in the evaluation of technical bids and take part in Evaluation Committee meetings.
• Review / approve detailed design specifications and drawings, submitted by Contractors and Consulting Engineers and suppliers.
• Provide technical support to Projects on design matters during detailed engineering, procurement, fabrication, testing, installation and commissioning stages of projects, which often involves site visits. Review and comment on pre-commissioning, commissioning and start-up procedures and Operating and Maintenance manuals, appropriate to his functional area of work. Review material submittals referred from Projects.
• Contribute to the updating of discipline Engineering Standards, Specifications and Corporate Philosophies.
• Assist in training and development of Qatari Engineers by mentoring and guiding them to build and enhance their capabilities.
• Keep abreast of current technology and state-of-the-art equipment and activities, by reading various trade journals, publications, by meeting Vendor Representatives and attending trade functions. Keep abreast of current regulations of Local and National authorities.
• Participate in technology development reviews to disseminate latest relevant technologies and technical reviews, at key stages of Project execution and of Project definition, if necessary.
• Deputize for Senior Manager Mechanical Engineering, when required.
• Identify to the Senior Manager Mechanical Engineering, the discipline engineering time / resource requirements for all current and planned design projects assigned to him and updates this information as necessary.
• Prepare and presents technical papers to Line / Senior Management from time to time to promote designs and/or strategies. Check the adequacy of designs produced by others, to ensure best practices and technical quality, in terms of providing safe / environmentally acceptable facilities, in compliance with the Codes, Standards, Principles, Practices and Specifications. Verify that the building or facilities being designed are of adequate dimensions to house all the equipment to be installed therein.
• Support Projects with advice on technical matters during construction, including construction safety and design and construction of temporary facilities. Attend progress meetings, if required.
• Inspect Contractor, Consulting Engineer and Vendor premises and witnesses Factory/Site Acceptance Tests, required.
• Stimulate subordinates and contribute to the identification of opportunities for continuous improvement of systems, processes and practices taking into account ‘international leading practice’, improvement of business processes, cost reduction and productivity improvement.
Policies, Systems, Processes & Procedures
• Recommend improvements to departmental procedure and direct the implementation of instructions and controls so that all relevant procedural/legislative requirements are fulfilled while delivering a quality, cost-effective service.
Quality, Health, Safety, & Environment
• Ensure compliance to all relevant quality, health, safety and environmental management procedures and controls within a defined area of activity to guarantee employee safety, compliance, delivery of high quality products/service and a responsible environmental attitude.
• Participate as a member of Health, Safety and Environment review team.
Statements and Reports
• Prepare departmental statements and reports timely and accurately to meet ASTAD and department’s requirements, policies and standards.
• Perform other related duties or assignments as directed.
|Job Location:||Doha, Qatar|
|Job Role:||Mechanical Engineering|
|Company Industry:||Consulting Services|
|Career Level:||Mid Career|